Saturday 2 February 2013

Work Schmirk

I'm definitely antsy about the job hunt. I applied to a bunch of VFX houses before I got out here, and am following up on 2 leads. I'm torn, do I continue with VFX or do I take a break? It's hard knowing a lot of film jobs are leaving LA. I think it's smart at this point to be thinking in terms of what is going to be the best bet for building something long term. I don't want to necessarily leave film, I love it. I still also to this day have no idea how I ended up in VFX. When I moved to LA, if you had told me I would end up working in VFX I would have looked at you like you were crazy. I must admit, I have fallen for it. Blargh!

Melbourne has such a wonderful theatre scene, I still need to track down information about auditioning here. What I have learned so far is that Backstage doesn't exist and that they have something equivalent to Equity but it's called something different. I'm not sure how the fringe scene is here yet. 

The romantic idea of working in a coffee shop would be great though, there would be plenty of time to write. But, everyone wants an experienced barista. And unfortunately I've seen quite a few job postings where they make sure to say don't apply if you're on a work and holiday visa. 

Any advice/a job pep talk from the ether would be simply awesome.

1 comment: