Friday 15 February 2013

Down the Road

The Blackman Hotel was such a great hotel to begin the adventure. There's this important car race coming into town over the next few weeks, the Australian Grand Prix, so we would have been kicked out of the hotel this past Tuesday because of the influx of car racing fans. Luckily, we were able to find a furnished apartment just in time! The apartment hunting process is a bit odd here. The first place I went to "inspect" in person with a realtor, no one showed up. I sat there for about 45 min until I was able to get through the office and was then told that the place had been rented…grrrr. Rental agencies here don't feel the need to make sure their websites which show the rental listings are up to date. This place was across from a bar called Witches N'Britches…so I think it turned out for the best that this option fell through.

After doing much searching online, I narrowed it down to 2 different places to start again with. The first place I saw, which was just about a 10 min walk from the hotel, was the one we ended up going with. It's on the 6th floor which is great because it gets so much light, it overlooks the park which has the Shrine of Remembrance, and it's wicked accessible to the trams. The second place could have been wonderful too, but unfortunately with the time limitations, the other realtor changing the 2nd inspection time to the day before we would have had to be out of the hotel, we went with easy.

I feel much more settled being in an apartment vs a hotel. AND, the unit has a washer and dryer…I have not had this awesomeness since living in Venice with Freeborn. 

Random side note, finding dryer sheets in this town is insanely hard, no one tends to use them. A woman told me yesterday that because Melbourne's water is supposedly so gentle, you don't need dryer sheets because things will come out of the dryer perfectly fluffy. I say bullshit!

No comments:

Post a Comment