Saturday 2 February 2013

Australia Day

My first whole day was Australia Day, and it was an epic way to start off being down under. January 26 commemorates the arrival of the First Fleet at Sydney Cove, New South Wales in 1788 and the proclamation at that time of British sovereignty over the eastern seaboard of Australia (then known as New Holland)…basically kicking the aboriginals out of their land, doesn't this sound sadly familiar?

There was an awesome parade in the morning, where groups like the costume club of Melbourne sporting Star Wars costumes and the historical bicycle club marched. There were so many different ethnic groups represented that really showed Melbourne's unique diversity. 

Richard and I are both not fans of heights, but I successfully persuaded him to head up Eureka Tower, the tallest building in all of Australia. The views were incredible, and our timing was perfect because of the air show for the holiday that was going on. There's this special attraction on top of the building where you can willingly pay to experience a 360 degree view from the 88th floor. It's glass on all sides, and this little room slowly slides over the edge and then slowly slides back…which looks absolutely terrifying…neither of us could figure out why anyone would put themselves through that torture.




I had my first Australian movie theatre experience seeing Life of Pi. I can't say the overall experience was too much different, although my goodness there are so many commercials before they start the previews! Good movie btw, but apparently nowhere as good as the book according to Richard. That cg lion was pretty damn awesome though.

We had a delicious dinner at an Indian restaurant called the Curry Vault (best Indian food of my life, loved torturing my Dad about that one). 

Our adventure filled day came to a close watching fireworks over the Yarra river to bring my first Australia Day to a close.

No comments:

Post a Comment