Monday 4 March 2013

25 - The Melburnian Trial

(cue drum roll)…25 is the magic number! Let's bring this full circle:

Since being in Australia, I have applied for many jobs. While being on a work and holiday visa is awesome, it doesn't necessarily work in your favor in successfully procuring work. But hey, it allows me to stay in the country, so in the end I have limited beef with it. And I get it, people normally on this visa aren't in town for long periods of time, it's more of a "vacation visa" to travel around the country. While I get situated in Melbourne professionally, do some more digging into both the acting/theatre and film/tv production scene, I've been applying for cafe/barista/waitressing jobs. I've gone in and given resumes in person to both places that had help-wanted signs posted in the window, and those that didn't, as well as scouring Gumtree (Australia's version of Craigslist) daily. 

Due to the fact that I haven't worked in food service in about 4ish years, its definitely been a bit of a fight. And I've never been someone who could lie on a resume...I don't like bad karma. It always seems that in every industry, there's always the question of how do I get experience if no one will give me a chance in the first place to get the experience to then be able to work? But as my old Pappy used to say (yes that was a "Maverick" reference), it only takes 1 person to give you that chance to prove yourself. Well, tomorrow is my chance to prove myself in a cafe in East Melbourne. I got a call today in response to my "hospitality submission" asking for me to do a trial starting tomorrow. 

I really have no idea what tomorrow will entail. I have limited clothing with me and am not sure I have anything close to the right thing to wear….especially shoes…BUT, it will be an adventure. The stress of looking for work can definitely make you forget that new jobs are fun. I'm a bit nervous, but I think I've been a bit nervous on the first day of all new jobs I've started; it definitely keeps you on your toes. Even though this opportunity may not work out, it still is validating to get some response back from the ether. Fingers crossed it will be the first of many exciting jobs to come Down Under.

The 25 hospitality job applied to = the first Melburnian trial (cue dramatic dun dun dun!).

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure you'll rock it Alexis...enjoy every adventure! Love your positive attitude

    ReplyDelete