Wednesday 20 March 2013

Moving Permanently to the Country that Invented Uggs

It's so exciting and surreal to be moving to a new country! Long story of how everything came about, but it's officially official. 

Even after being here for almost 2 months, things are still continuing to pop up that strike me as odd. For example, with growing up in the US, I've become accustomed to certain clothing designers, US measurement of mileage/nutritional info/lbs, the way a grocery store is laid out, delicious brunches where they don't put ice cream on pancakes, various coffee terminology (not getting ice cream in your coffee when you order an "ice coffee"), uncomplicated credit card lingo (apparently requesting credit card transactions where you have to sign a receipt is considered archaic here), and of course Dunkin' Donuts. 

Professionally, for the past 5 years, I've worked my butt off in LA working in the industry. I'll admit, looking back on my time there, it was mainly a blur of different offices around town. But every office was filled with such amazing people that became my peeps out there. **Quick sidenote: I forgot to mention from several posts ago, the whole working in a cafe just didn't work out.

Each of those things is different here which is awesome sauce, but it's such an odd feeling to be starting over; liberating but scary. 

Our cats will have to go through 5 months of quarantine in the US, followed by 30 days here in a facility. I can't wait to have them out here! I'll be pretty much as far away as I can get from my parents which is hard (I swear Mom and Pops this was not planned on purpose). The time difference from here to the East coast is somewhat frustrating as is the time difference to LA, making it hard to coordinate Skyping time that's convenient on both ends. And it's incredibly sad knowing I won't be living in the same city with some of my closest friends. 

The decision of moving to Melbourne permanently was really challenging. But a friend of mine told me recently "Life is an adventure, it is supposed to be scary & confusing, that is how you know you are doing it right." And the most important thing is that I'll be going through all the new with my person. So starts the adventure and new chapter! 

1 comment: