Monday 24 March 2014

The Last 5 Months

I remember the exact moment I decided to apply to work in Sydney. It was late at night, and Richard and I were reading before bed. I saw the job posting on the DLF mailing list and thought “Naw, I won’t apply, it’s in Sydney…that would be crazy”. After thinking for a minute longer, it changed to “O what the hell, it can’t hurt”. The next morning I was called by a recruiter, and within 2 weeks I had started working at FOX. It was a complete whirlwind. Over the next few months I had always questioned that moment and decision, second guessing whether or not it was the right thing to do because of living away from Richard, the cats, stress, money, the challenge of staying in touch with family and friends overseas, the crazy Sydney weather and bugs, starting over in a new city somewhat isolated, etc. 

5 months later, I can say with absolute certainty that taking the job in Sydney was absolutely the right decision. Its been a really fun, challenging, and positive work experience, and I’ve learned a hell of a lot. I have met and worked with some fantastic people, and have had the chance to live and explore in a world famous city. It’s gotten me back on track for working out here which is really exciting. 

I have been lucky enough to work with some incredibly amazing people on different film crews/post houses, but no matter how many times I have to say good bye to people when the project comes to an end, it never gets easier. Working 10-12+ hour days means that these people become your family, and you often see them more than other halves and family. 

I came into work last Monday expecting to wrap Friday, and by the time the week concluded, I was presented with the opportunity to stay an additional 3 1/2 months for the shoot. It’s going to be crazy pants, but I’m really excited for the next phase. 

No comments:

Post a Comment